C++ to D

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 1 05:23:31 PDT 2015

"Jeff Jones"  wrote in message news:bdfjhhkmmwzhdmqtvbzx at forum.dlang.org...

> Is it possible to modify either a C++ compiler or in code to make classes
> more D ish? e.g., instead of just the vtable(which, IIRC is slightly
> different between the two) add the metadata pointer and whatever else?
>
> What I'm getting at, is there a somewhat simple way(not creating a new C++
> but either through macros, small compiler changes, or whatever) to make
> C++ objects D compatible instead of the other way?

It sounds like what you're suggesting is similar to the way COM interfaces
can be implemented in C - manually matching everything that C doesn't have,
like vtables.  You could do it with C++ for D, or patch a C++ compiler to do
it automatically, but I'd guess there's an easier way for whatever you're
trying to accomplish.