operators in language reference

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 1 05:40:24 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 1 April 2015 at 11:18:26 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 April 2015 at 10:53:57 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
> Scherkl wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 1 April 2015 at 10:39:01 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>>>
>>> http://dlang.org/expression.html
>> This describes what operators (tokens) exist and what operands
>> they can take
>> (form a grammar point of view), but not what they do. You may
>> say that's obvious, but I know languages where even "+"
>> doesn't do what one might expect.
>
> With exception of the ones that are the same in C, I can't spot
> any that are missing an explanation.
>
> I agree that it would be good to have a more beginner friendly
> description of them all, but to a C(++) programmer I would say
> that document contains the info they need.

Yeah, but scattered all over the different chapters. And not
describing those that are the same in C++ is like not describing
the types float and short, just because they are the same in C++.
I find it lacking if I have to tell a newbie "look in the
documentation for some other language for the definition of the
operators that you can't find here somewhere"