Redirecting dead links on the website

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 1 14:20:48 PDT 2015

Phobos documentation was restructured, and the new structure is
good. However, changing the URLs for the documentation has left
behind a few broken links, some of which I'm seeign in Google
search results. For example, this page I just saw.

http://dlang.org/library/std/traits/ValueType.html

This is bad for two reasons.

1. For humans, a dead link means that something is just a little
harder to find.
2. For Google and SEO, the site might lose some ranking in
searcch results, as popular pages are now probably considered
dead completely by Google.

We sould track down the old links and redirect to the new
documentation pages.

I also noticed that we are hosting two different versions of the
Phobos documentation, one in one format for 2.066, and another in
another format for 2.067. See these two pages for example.

http://dlang.org/library/std/traits.html
http://dlang.org/phobos/std_traits.html

So again, a series of redirects is needed. If someone has control
over Webmaster Tools, that would be a good way to find a list of
404s to sort out.