The dmd.conf rant

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 1 17:33:32 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 1 April 2015 at 19:20:14 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> The way I have set it up personally, there is a single
> /etc/dmd.conf for latest released package and bunch of
> ~/devel/dlang-X/bin folders, each with own dmd binary and own
> dmd.conf side by side with that dmd binary - all added to PATH.
> Seems to pick up the matching one depending on which binary I
> actually call.

Yes, that's what I used for years. but it doesn't work when you
need to use the system-wide dmd in ~/devel/dlang-X.

That's the current order, the culprit is current directory which
overrides anything else and home directory which overrides exe
dir.

o current directory
o home directory
o exe directory (windows)
o directory off of argv0
o SYSCONFDIR (default=/etc/) (non-windows)

==========

This is what it should be IMHO.

o exe directory (windows)
o directory off of argv0
o home directory
o SYSCONFDIR (default=/etc/) (non-windows)

Take the conf from next to the compiler, or look in the home dir
which can override the system-wide conf, or look at the
system-wide conf.

I guess this might be used completely different on Windows,
especially considering that the dmd.conf contains VCDIR variables
and such. Any info would be welcome.