Benchmark of D against other languages

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 2 14:55:50 PDT 2015

On 1 April 2015 at 04:17, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 23:53:07 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 18:20:05 UTC, cym13 wrote:
>>>
>>> I found this repository (reddit!) that hosts common benchmarks for many
>>> languages such as D, Nim, Go, python, C, etc... It uses only standard
>>> structures not to influence the benchmark.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/kostya/benchmarks
>>

>> dmd in benchmark => worthless
>> there really needs to be a big red warning that dmd is just the reference
>> implementation and use LDC/GDC for performance.
>

> all this benchmark made me realize is that other languages and compilers are
> dog slow.
>
> Removed everything except ruby, crystal, C, CPP, nim, and D(dmd and ldc),
> and go to save myself time. The rust version the code is for is outdated, so
> I couldn't do rust.

[snip]

Out of curiousity, which version of GDC are you using there?  Looking
at the results published on github look worrying, given that they used
an outdated (by our community's standards) version of Phobos with GDC
(2.058, if memory serves well).  If more recent versions (DMD 2.067,
LDC 0.15) are behind by a second or more, that might suggest that
somewhere, something went horribly wrong in the library.

Iain.