D, Python, and Chapel

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 3 08:34:03 PDT 2015

On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 10:18:11 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Chapel 1.11 just got release and they are making a big play on
> the
> integration of Chapel with Python. This could be huge and
> potentially
> disrupt the complacency of the NumPy based folk.
>
> Chapel is a rather pleasant PGAS language that makes
> parallelism and
> clustering quite nice. Certainly if the choice is Python+C++ vs
> Python+Chapel, this is now a "no contest".
>
> This may put a kibosh on the whole Python+D thing.

I've had a look at Chapel and I don't get what the big deal is.
There's some nice syntax and good thinking about parallelism in
there*, but I don't see what's exciting after that... Maybe D has
spoiled me for seeing power in a language.

I guess what I'm saying is I can see that they've put a lot of
thought in to good abstractions for parallelism in HPC, we should
steal a bunch of it because D is eminently capable of supporting
similar abstractions, while being a much more rounded language in
other regards.