Mid-term vision review

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 3 09:03:10 PDT 2015

On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 11:04:36 UTC, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
> Are there any plans for the creation of a powerful AST-macro
> system in D?
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP50

No, Walter and Andrei are against it:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/l5otb1$1dhi$1@digitalmars.com?page=20#post-l62466:242n8p:241:40digitalmars.com

On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 13:41:02 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 10:56:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> You have already been doing this recently by listing various
>> needed jobs on the forum with the [WORK] label, which is
>> helpful
>> for those looking for ways to pitch in, but it would be better
>> if they were listed on a single page in the wiki.
>
> Or use the built-in keywords functionality of Bugzilla.  Or
> tracking bugs.

Those would both work, but you still need to surface them
somewhere on the wiki or main site, because the bugzilla
interface doesn't appear that great at surfacing such topics.

>> Things just get lost in bugzilla, as it's hard to search,
>> though
>> you could put together a list on the wiki with links to the
>> relevant bugzilla issues, if you wanted to keep bugzilla as the
>> main archive.
>>
> Is it?  I don't understand, what problem are you having? (IME,
> It's a damn sight better than any of the alternatives when you
> have this many issues.)

I've had problems searching for dmd error strings in bugzilla and
had a much better experience doing a google custom search on
forum.dlang.org instead, using google search to find it through
the web mirror.  Perhaps I'm just not adequately aware of how
bugzilla search works, but the moment you need casual users to
guess the right keywords to search for, you lose 99% of them.

Even if it's all done in bugzilla underneath, you need to have
some sort of external links from the wiki or somewhere easier to
find, because bugzilla is a very effective haystack.