Mid-term vision review

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 3 16:00:48 PDT 2015

On 4 April 2015 at 00:46, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 20:56:09 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 19:45:29 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
>>>
>>> The reliance on GDC/LDC to produce production-level binaries(i.e,
>>> optimized) and the actual people working on them really is worrisome. If
>>> Iain or Kai decided one day to leave D, it would be a very big blow I think.
>>

>> Yes. And considering there is no hope that we bring dmd's backend up to
>> speed with GCC or LLVM (let's be realistic one second) what is even more
>> worrisome is how little they are integrated in the workflow.
>

> The best way to help would probably be to work on contributor
> guides/documentation. They don't seem to have much of either of these - or
> I'm blind(good possibility.)

Summary of sources in first link, those familiar with DMD internals
will understand what the glue methods more or less do.

http://gdcproject.org/documentation/

Only coding guidelines are the rough notes in the link below, and that
all changes should be reported in the relevant ChangeLog entry.

https://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html#CandCxx

I'd expect things to change dramatically in the future though what
with all these glue methods now gone (thanks yebblies), and the new
glue Visitor's giving free reign on compiler backend's to simplify and
lower the entry barrier for potential new contributors.

Regards
Iain.