Has anyone used D with Nvidia's Cuda?

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 4 03:45:24 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 4 April 2015 at 10:26:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/4/2015 3:04 AM, weaselcat wrote:
>> PR?
>
> Exactly!
>
> The idea is that GPUs can greatly accelerate code (2x to
> 1000x), and if D wants to appeal to high performance computing
> programmers, we need to have a workable way to program the GPU.
>
> At this point, it doesn't have to be slick or great, but it has
> to be doable.
>
> Nvidia appears to have put a lot of effort into CUDA, and it
> shouldn't be hard to work with CUDA given the Derelict D
> headers, and will give us an answer to D users who want to
> leverage the GPU.
>
> It would also be dazz if someone were to look at std.algorithm
> and see what could be accelerated with GPU code.

I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here - cuda is a
closed proprietary solution only implemented by one vendor
effectively cutting off anyone that doesn't work with nvidia
hardware.

also, the std.algorithm thing sounds a lot like the C++ library
Bolt/Thrust
https://github.com/HSA-Libraries/Bolt