Has anyone used D with Nvidia's Cuda?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 4 10:16:17 PDT 2015

On 4/4/2015 4:29 AM, ponce wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 April 2015 at 09:50:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> * the example shown is useless
>
> The problem with example is that someone have to maintain them.
> For DerelictBgfx we removed all translated examples.
> So the Derelict policy is to remove example to avoid them becoming out of date.
>
> For the record Aldacron maintains approx. 22 Derelict bindings and I maintain 7
> of them, in our free time. Keeping up with all library change is impossible if
> everyone excpect everything to be up-to-date and with examples.

Oh, I understand that keeping things up to date is always a problem with every
third party tool. On the plus side, however, Nvidia seems very good with
backwards compatiblity, meaning that when the D bindings get out of date, they
will still work. They just won't work with new features.

>> * there are no examples of actually running code on a GPU
>
> Because it's similar to using the Driver/Runtime API in C++, you have to read
> CUDA documentation.

Of course. But having a couple examples to show it really does work will go a
long way. I am not suggesting making any attempt to duplicate Nvidia's
documentation in D.

>> It looks like nothing more than a couple header files (which is a great start,
>> but that's all).
>
> Maybe we can delete them so that it's not too embarrassing? Serious proposal.

If that's the state of things, I'd be happy to take them over and put them in
Deimos.

> In my opinion, the couple header files provide all you need to use CUDA, if you
> know what you are doing. If you don't, don't do GPGPU.

That does work for someone who really wants to use CUDA, but not much for
someone who is evaluating using D and wants to use the GPU with CUDA.