Mid-term vision review

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 4 22:02:15 PDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 04:31:06PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 4/4/2015 1:48 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >Besides, even if you could, you're just one person, whereas gdc/ldc
> >have a much larger number of contributors, some of whose specialty is
> >optimization.  Do you realistically think you can singlehandedly
> >outdo all of them?
>
> I did for decades, until the early 2000's or so when I began spending
> all my time on the front end.
[...]

Well, yes, that's because we need you more on DMDFE than on the backend,
and that's why there will probably never be enough time for you to do
everything you need to do with the backend. And that's why the backend
will probably never be as good as gdc/ldc.

Freedom: (n.) Man's self-given right to be enslaved by his own depravity.