std.reflection prototype

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 5 01:51:01 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-04 18:16, bitwise wrote:

> Ok, I think I understand what you're suggesting now, which is that you
> want a library to be able to override RTInfo in order to add it's own
> metadata to all types, which raises the question, what if more than one
> library wants to add metadata? And I think this question was addressed
> by the suggestion of the AA for RTInfo where the module's fully
> qualified name was the key, which won't work because of separate
> compilation... right?

Yes, exactly. I don't know if it works with separate complication or
not. But it will make it more complicated.

> So in my case I could just update my RTInfo to generate a reflection for
> each type, and make it accessible using a UFC or something.
>
> If I understand correctly though, the idea has been dismissed as being
> impossible due to separate compilation, right? Is there any leads on
> this at this point?

I don't think it's impossible, but more it's complicated. I don't think
I got a really good elaborated answer form Martin why he didn't like the
AA approach, except for being complicated.

--
/Jacob Carlborg