Questions about phobos additions mentioned in 2015H1 vision document

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 5 10:48:19 PDT 2015

In the 2015H1 vision document[1] it states the following:

<quote>
*Foster additions to the standard library and third-party
libraries*
We prefer adding new components to the standard library over
refactorings and reorganizations of those that work (barring bug
fixes). Our vision is to foster a large standard library
complemented by a strong battery of third-party libraries.
Aspects like networking, concurrent/parallel/distributed
programming, and database connectivity are of interest to place
in the standard library.
</quote>

1. Are you wanting a large "batteries included" standard library
a'la Python[2] or only focused around the aspects mentioned?

2. When implementing something like 'std.database' do you see
this as bindings to libraries (similar to std.net.curl[3]) or an
implementation of the relevant specification/protocols etc. to
negate the need for dependencies?

3. When mentioning networking, do you mean email handling, http
servers, sockets etc? Do you see this replacing std.net.curl?

[1]: http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1
[2]: https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/
[3]: http://dlang.org/phobos/std_net_curl.html