json parsing performance

Kingsley via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 13:41:40 PDT 2015

On Monday, 6 April 2015 at 20:26:15 UTC, cym13 wrote:
> On Monday, 6 April 2015 at 20:20:06 UTC, Kingsley wrote:
>> I have read that std.json is pretty slow compared to other
>> languages json parsers and I'm about to do a whole stack of
>> json parsing and was wondering if anyone has got any
>> benchmarks to indicate what "slow" means compared to other
>> languages - particularly java, ruby, python?
>>
>> I want to know whether to roll up the sleeves and write my own
>> json parser focused on performance or if slow just means a few
>> ms slower - which I could live with.
>
> I don't know much about json parsers so I can't say if it is a
> good one but it was subject to many discussions lately:
> https://github.com/kostya/benchmarks/tree/master/json

great thanks. Hmm when I ran the test json I got a 212MB json
file which the tests used. So  although the std.json takes around
10 seconds to parse this - I can probably live with that and
spend my energy getting on with my project. Of course it would
have been nice to see the performance of std.json closer to that
of rust and go instead of closer to ruby.