unittests are really part of the build, not a special run

Leandro Lucarella via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 15:16:33 PDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 23:26:38 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>> And if you suggest to build both test and normal build as
>>> part of single
>>> compiler call (building test version silently in the
>>> background) this is
>>> also very confusing addition hardly worth its gain.
>>
>> Making the format of unittest failures better would take us a
>> long way. Then we can script builds so the unittest and
>> release build are created concurrently.
>
> If it is only format that matters you an always change it via
> custom test runner. For example, we do have a test runner that
> generates JUnit-compatible XML output for Jenkins - and that
> was possible to do with plain `unittest` blocks even with D1 :)
>
> Main problem with changing default formatting is that it is
> pretty hard to choose one that is 100% right. Current one is at
> least simple and predictable being just an exception printout.

I think having the default using the same format as compiler
errors makes perfect sense. Providing extra formatters in Phobos,
would be a huge gain, like a JUnit-compatible formatter, as it's
a very widespread test reporting format that can be used with
many tools.

I agree the key is the current configurability, but providing
better default and better out of the box alternatives seems like
a very reasonable approach to me.