Why I'm Excited about D

Adam Hawkins via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 16:51:16 PDT 2015

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I've been
investigating the language for the past few weeks. I was able to
complete my first useful program thanks to very helpful people in
#d on IRC . The experience made me very interested in the
language and improving the community around it.

I'm primarily Ruby developer (been so about the last 7-8 years)
doing web stuff with significant JavaScript work as well. I wrote
a blog post on why I'm excited about D. You can read it here:
http://hawkins.io/2015/04/excited-about-d/.

I've been reading the forums here so I can see that there is a
focus on improving the marketing for the language and growing the
community. I see most of the effort is geared towards C++
programmers, but have you considered looking at us dynamic
languages folk? I see a big upside for us. Moving from Ruby to D
(my case) gives me power & performance. I still have OOP
techniques but I still have functional things like closures and
all that good stuff. Only trade off in the Ruby case is
metaprogramming. All in all I think there is a significant value
promise for those of us doing backend services for folks like me.

Regardless, I figured it might be interesting to hear about some
experience coming to the language from a different perspective.
Cheers!