Why I'm Excited about D

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 17:28:05 PDT 2015

On 7/04/2015 11:51 a.m., Adam Hawkins wrote:
> Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I've been
> investigating the language for the past few weeks. I was able to
> complete my first useful program thanks to very helpful people in #d on
> IRC . The experience made me very interested in the language and
> improving the community around it.
>
> I'm primarily Ruby developer (been so about the last 7-8 years) doing
> web stuff with significant JavaScript work as well. I wrote a blog post
> on why I'm excited about D. You can read it here:
> http://hawkins.io/2015/04/excited-about-d/.
>
> I've been reading the forums here so I can see that there is a focus on
> improving the marketing for the language and growing the community. I
> see most of the effort is geared towards C++ programmers, but have you
> considered looking at us dynamic languages folk? I see a big upside for
> us. Moving from Ruby to D (my case) gives me power & performance. I
> still have OOP techniques but I still have functional things like
> closures and all that good stuff. Only trade off in the Ruby case is
> metaprogramming. All in all I think there is a significant value promise
> for those of us doing backend services for folks like me.
>
> Regardless, I figured it might be interesting to hear about some
> experience coming to the language from a different perspective. Cheers!

I was slightly surprised that you didn't mention CTFE in there as it is
one of D's unique and powerful features.
But only because I'm a little invested https://leanpub.com/ctfe in it.

I am very interested in feedback on https://github.com/DNetDev from you.
I do have a web service framework also being written. But it really
needs the web server first.