Why I'm Excited about D

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 7 11:19:07 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 11:04:35AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 4/7/2015 10:33 AM, bachmeier wrote:
> >You're such a good programmer that you can't write code with a bug in
> >it even if you try.
>
> We're all susceptible to making certain types of errors. Over time, we
> learn to compensate for those errors, and don't make them any more. I
> can't remember the last time I made the = == mistake.
>
> It's probably why that error in the article glared out at me.
>
> If you really want to mess with my head, design a language with = and
> == reversed.

Actually, I find the current use of = vs. == in programming languages
rather counterintuitive, even though I myself have become accustomed to
it as you have. If I were ever to invent my own programming language,
I'd use = for equality and := for assignment. (I wouldn't include ==,
though; I think it's an eyesore.)

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca