Why I'm Excited about D

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 7 15:48:58 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 7 April 2015 at 22:30:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/7/15 3:29 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 7 April 2015 at 22:22:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A JIT would be nice. -- Andrei
>>
>> I'm not so sure CTFE would ever get out of the warmup debt
>> JITs incur,
>> ctfe bits usually don't live very long.
>
> A JIT would pay off where it matters - intensive use of CTFE
> leading to long compilations. -- Andrei

I can talk from first hand experience here, as SDC uses ONLY JIT
for CTFE.

It turns out that it is slower in the general case where you some
small computation, but way faster as soon as you run something
non trivial.

I don't think it would be a good move to integrate it as this,
but coupled with some heuristic, it would be great.