Associative Arrays in the data segment

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 10 09:05:07 PDT 2015

"Steven Schveighoffer"  wrote in message
news:mg8nd3$1fq5$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Well, it was a call to action by the language designer "here's a fun
> project anyone can do". Would be a shame for an unsuspecting person to do
> that, and then find out "oh, we can't use your work, because the compiler
> has an implementation already, and (insert some wrinkle why it's too
> difficult to update the compiler version to do what yours does)"

You're overestimating the difficulty of changing the implementation in the
compiler.

> Yes, I understand this. But I'm very firmly against putting more magic
> into the compiler. How many bugs or barriers to improvement are root
> caused by compiler magic treatment of something?

Not that many?  How many improvements don't happen despite lack of barriers?

> There are many stupid limitations that should have been fixed years ago.
> And I don't disagree this is one of them. I just disagree that this is a
> "fix". It's quite literally the introduction of a new problem that we
> don't need.

It's trading one problem for another.  Current problem: feature doesn't
work.  New problem: somebody might have more trouble doing something they
probably won't do anyway.  It's a win.