Which D IDE do you use?(survey)

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 10 11:23:47 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:59:45AM -0700, Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I hope this is not taken as an attack on Vim users but from my limited
> observations at work, users of Emacs use it powerfully and users of
> Vim use it as a simple editor.
>
> One example is dealing with multiple files (buffers): I and all the
> other Emacs users have dozens of files open at a time, switching
> between them seemlessly. I don't even close my Emacs sessions for
> months.
>
> On the other hand, most of the Vim users keep a single file open at a
> time.  It is painful for me to watch how a Vim user goes to the
> definition of 'struct' that is already open in a .c file: exit Vim,
> change directory to 'include', start Vim again with the .h file. Argh!
> :)
[...]

What?! What kind of n00b vim (l)users do you work with??  I basically
never exit vim when I'm editing something, whether it's coding or
otherwise.  Have they never heard of the :sp command?? You just go :sp
include/mymod.h and there you have both the code and the definition in
one session. Or, better yet, use ctags and just c-] to get to the
definition in two keystrokes, then c-t to get back to where you were.

A common habit of mine when I want to see both the caller and the callee
is to go :sp c-], which splits the screen with the definition on top and
the caller on the bottom. Who in their right mind needs to exit vim and
restart it again?!  That's totally n00bish. Even when I need to go to
the shell, I just use c-z to suspend it, do whatever I need to do in the
shell, and fg to get back. I almost always keep my vim session running
in the root of the source tree, and just type the path to the files --
vim *does* autocomplete filenames on tab, so it's usually just a few
keystrokes to get you there.

These are basic beginner vim skillz, and I'm astonished the vim users in
your office can't even handle something so simple.  You might as well
say emacs sux because a vim user doesn't know how to use 95% of its
functionality. :-P  Somebody needs to make good use of a cluebat in your
office.  :-P

Public parking: euphemism for paid parking. -- Flora