Wiki page: Coming From C++

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 11 16:09:22 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 11 April 2015 at 10:24:53 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> I've done some preliminary work on a wiki page that attempts to
> convince C++ programmers who are on the fence about D, who need
> to know what D provides over C++11 and C++14.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Coming_From/C_Plus_Plus_WIP_article
>
> I don't know if a Coming_From page is the right place for this
> kind of information. What is the target audience for
> Coming_From - programmers who are already learning D, or
> programmers who are investigating D to decide whether or not to
> try it? If the former, where should we place information for
> the latter?
>
> Contributions to the page are very welcome. I think D's syntax
> is intuitive enough for C++ programmers that we can use
> commented D code examples. I could need some help filling up
> the sections and proposing new sections.

Thanks for doing this.  Maybe link to Andrei's talks and articles
(and Ali's book) on iterators and ranges.

Learning D vs investigating whether to try it is not such a
binary choice because many people who try a language give up
early.  Maybe start with the selling points and have a second
section below - 'here is how to do stuff'.  Some examples, and
links to other relevant material.