DIP77 - Fix unsafe RC pass by 'ref'

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 12 06:12:04 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 at 07:17:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/11/2015 4:33 AM, "Marc =?UTF-8?B?U2Now7x0eiI=?=
> <schuetzm at gmx.net>" wrote:
>> On Saturday, 11 April 2015 at 09:41:07 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
> A quick read of this suggests it is doing the Rust model of
> only one mutable reference at a time. Is this really viable
> with D?

It's a very good ownership model IMO, because it has no runtime
overhead and often sharing/escaping isn't needed. Would at least
be interesting to explore this in more detail for scoped
variables.

As a side note, I find that unique ownership is strangely missing
from our discussions, yet it's a perfect ownership model for
resources such as a File.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3171