djinni and D

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 12 12:37:41 PDT 2015

I was just watching this talk, and it is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcBtF-JWJhM

They are working with a C++ codebase they are sharing between
different mobile platforms by mapping it to the languages
specific to each platform. They explain in the talk, and as
someone who has done a little iOS and Android development myself
I understand this, that it's important to work with the platform
specific tools so you can get the native look and feel specific
to each platform. So they have a tool which generates code for
connecting the platform languages to C++ and back. The best part
is, this translation tool is actually free software.

https://github.com/dropbox/djinni

It uses Objective-C++ to connect to iOS with Objective-C, and JNI
to connect to Android with Java. As I was watching this talk, my
brain moved in a direction we can call a fanciful pipe dream.

1. Finish Objective-C support in D.
2. Finish iOS ARM support for GDC or LDC.
3. Finish Android ARM support for GDC or LDC.
4. Contribute to djinni, adding D (Objective-C) <-> Objective-C
and D (JNI) <-> Java.
5. ???
6. Profit!

I'm pretty much just posting this to put that idea in the heads
of others.