<rant> D's makefiles... </rant>

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 06:55:57 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 13:12 +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I did a `git up` on dmd, druntime and phobos, but phobos wouldn't
> build. Weird, but I had to fork phobos anyway, let me do that.
> Still wouldn't build. I tried `make clean`, can't remember
> exactly what happened but that didn't work either.
>
> In the end I `rm -rf`ed dmd and druntime, recloned them, rebuilt
> them and _then_ phobos could build.
>
> Feels like when I wrote Makefiles by hand, I'd forgotten it could
> get this bad.

Make was a revelation and a revolution, in 1977.  Things have progressed in
the last 37 years. Sadly a large number of C, C++, D, etc. programmers seem
to be convinced that build technology reached a pinnacle in 1992 and
stopped progressing.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder