D Hackathon: April 25 - May 1

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 07:06:42 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 20:05 +0000, David Soria Parra via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
> I think this is a great idea and I marked it in my calendar. Also
> as a suggestion, the Python community usually runs "Sprints" on
> every major conference. Basically after the main conference for
> 1-2 days people stay and get into a room and hack on projects. I
> really like that format. I am not sure what the room situation
> for Dconf is, but if we can have a room +1 day, I'd love to stay
> around for a one day more and "sprint".

In the JVM-verse they tend to be called Hackergarten. There is a subtle
difference between a Hackergarten and a Sprint I am told, but I have, as
yet, failed to find out what this is.
For the EuroPython sprints in 2010 we took over some rooms but this meant
each team was in a separate room and the various folk only met at break
times. For the PyConUK sprints we just use the main conference room and
teams set up in various parts of it. I never cease to be pleased by the
serendipitous extras things that happen because of the lack of boundaries
between teams.
I think it is important to emphasize that whilst some people will provide
pull requests during a sprint, others may not. This is not a problem. As
long as each "project" gets some pull requests that is fine.
Last year for one of the "projects" sprinting, some of us got some serious
pull requests in whilst others only just managed to get set up. The
feedback to the team of these people setting up was massively positive for
the "project" and led to wholesale changes after the sprint that made set
up so much easier for those coming after.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder