Probably you can run a D command line app on an android ARM device

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 09:33:05 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 at 19:03:33 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> BTW - since we have linux on ARM, the following may be useful
> if you wish to run a D application on your Android mobile
> device.  No ADB or root required.
>
> http://kevinboone.net/android_nonroot.html

I stumbled across that site sometime back when looking for a way
to open a shell with my own command-line apps on my Android
tablet and run the druntime/phobos unit tests from the command
line on an unrooted Android/ARM device.  However, that setup is
not going to fix the TLS issue that's holding up Android/ARM.  D
sticks all non-shared/__gshared globals in Thread-Local Storage
(TLS) by default, but Android doesn't support TLS natively, so
you can't just compile a D app for linux/ARM and run it on
Android/ARM, whether with that setup or not.

> I guess you might be able to run a local web server to have a
> friendlier interface, although I have not yet tried.  Since ssh
> and rsync works, I don't see why a web server wouldn't.

It'll likely work; you just can't run on port 80 because you
don't have root.

> The alternative is to run a full linux install in a chroot:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy

But that requires root, so you're back to square one.