<rant> D's makefiles... </rant>

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 14:27:46 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 April 2015 at 13:56:17 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 13:12 +0000, Atila Neves via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I did a `git up` on dmd, druntime and phobos, but phobos
>> wouldn't build. Weird, but I had to fork phobos anyway, let me
>> do that. Still wouldn't build. I tried `make clean`, can't
>> remember exactly what happened but that didn't work either.
>>
>> In the end I `rm -rf`ed dmd and druntime, recloned them,
>> rebuilt them and _then_ phobos could build.
>>
>> Feels like when I wrote Makefiles by hand, I'd forgotten it
>> could get this bad.
>
> Make was a revelation and a revolution, in 1977.  Things have
> progressed in
> the last 37 years. Sadly a large number of C, C++, D, etc.
> programmers seem
> to be convinced that build technology reached a pinnacle in
> 1992 and
> stopped progressing.

To be fair, I've seen a lot of new build systems, but not a lot
of better build system.

I keep coming back to makefile, not because it is good, but
because it is not worse than most of the shit I tried, and at
least it is available everywhere and you find documentation about
it on the net easily for everyone of its obscure corners.