Probably you can run a D command line app on an android ARM device

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 21:07:28 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 April 2015 at 17:44:42 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Monday, 13 April 2015 at 16:33:06 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> So that is why vibed demo app doesn't work although it does
> compile.   (The TLS kludge not yet in GDC).  So if I make all
> globall gshared, I can do useful work today using Gdc on arm
> android, even if I have to use an alternative to vibed for the
> network stuff ?

Yes, but that is harder than it sounds, because often those
globals are supposed to be thread-local.  Dan Olson has a branch
of druntime for iOS where he uses pthreads instead for TLS, for
the handful of places where druntime needs it:

https://github.com/smolt/druntime/blob/ios/src/ldc/xyzzy.d#L83

Phobos uses TLS globals much more, so it's prohibitive to do the
same there.  That means you could use druntime but not phobos if
you wanted to go this route, as I mentioned to Rishub earlier in
this thread.

>>> The alternative is to run a full linux install in a chroot:
>>>
>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy
>>
>> But that requires root, so you're back to square one.
>
> Well, I have root.  But if I get somebody else to start playing
> with my app, I don't want to have to make them root their
> device just to see what it does.

Yep, one of the many problems with root.

On Monday, 13 April 2015 at 18:30:16 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> I didn't read all of this discussion. Does the chroot method
> mean you
> can use glibc?

Yes, I believe so.