Pitching an investment bank on using D for their bond analytics

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 14 06:13:14 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 at 12:08:54 UTC, D Denizen since a year
wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have been here a year or so, and trust you will forgive my
> posting pseudonymously on this occasion.  If you guess who it
> is, please be kind enough not to say for now.
>
> A friend has been invited to be a consultant for an investment
> bank that would like to build a set of analytics for fixed
> income products.  The team is currently quite small - about 5
> C++ developers - and the idea is to start with a proof of
> concept and then build on it as there is further buy-in from
> the business.
>
> Having been using D for a year or so, I am pretty comfortable
> that it can do the job, and likely much better than the C++
> route for all the normal reasons.  I haven't experience of
> using D in a proper enterprise environment, but I think this
> group might be open to trying D and that I might be at least
> part-time involved.
>
> I also have little experience in getting across the merits of
> this technology to people very used to C++, and so I have not
> yet built up a standard set of answers to the normal objections
> to 'buying' that will crop up in any situation of this sort.
>
> So I am interested in:
>
> - what are the things to emphasize in building the case for
> trying D?  the most effective factors that persuade people are
> not identical with the technically strongest reasons, because
> often one needs to see it before one gets it.
>
> - what are the likely pitfalls in the early days?
>
> - what are potential factors that might make D a bad choice in
> this scenario?  I would like to use D certainly - but it is of
> course much more important that the client gets the best
> result, however it is done.
>
> - am I right in thinking C++ integration more or less works,
> except instantiating C++ templates from D?  what are the
> gotchas?
>
> (I appreciate there is not so much to go on, and much depends
> on specific factors).  But any quick thoughts and experiences
> would be very welcome.

A couple of big pluses:

1) Ease of changing code. D codebases tend to feel more flexible
than C++

2) Easy to transparently make use of highly optimised low-level
code in high level constructs, whether that means carefully
written D, inline asm or calling out to established C(++)
libraries.

Possible pitfalls:

1) What systems are being targeted? D on obscure big-iron is a
very different prospect to D on a bunch of x86 linux servers.

2) Added maintenance due to language/library changes, however
minor. Not a particularly big deal IMO, particularly when your
writing a piece of software for in-house usage.

3) Limited support options. There aren't swathes of consultants
available at any time to fix your urgent problems.