Pitching an investment bank on using D for their bond analytics

D Denizen since a year via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 14 07:27:27 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 at 14:21:15 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:

>> - what are potential factors that might make D a bad choice in
>> this
>> scenario?  I would like to use D certainly - but it is of
>> course much
>> more important that the client gets the best result, however
>> it is done.
>>

> You would have to asess if the analysis you should create is
> time critical. If it is, a possible pitfall is the GC, and you
> should try to avoid it from the start. Replacing the GC with
> custom memory management is a lot of work if you do it
> afterwards. If the analysis is not time critical, I don't see
> any problems with D.
>
> Kind Regards
> Benjamin Thaut

My guess is it's not a major factor, but maybe can design from
beginning possibility to use custom allocators.  Ie the part
where latency matters does not deal with monster data sizes, and
if there is a part where data sizes are large then probably
latency will be less critical.  (Outside of HFT, big for this
area is much smaller than what other people mean by big).