Pitching an investment bank on using D for their bond analytics

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 14 08:30:34 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 at 12:08:54 UTC, D Denizen since a year
wrote:
> - what are the things to emphasize in building the case for
> trying D?  the most effective factors that persuade people are
> not identical with the technically strongest reasons, because
> often one needs to see it before one gets it.

 From the business / management PoV I think it is important to
emphasize low risk of D investment because of its relation with
C/C++. This applies both to the fact that D code has strong
interoperating capabilities with C/C++ (so any prototype effort
won't be completely lost if discarded) and to the hiring process
- it is possible to hire C/C++/Java developers and quickly get
them into D development with a quick crash course because there
are so many familiar things.

> - what are the likely pitfalls in the early days?

Because total community / user base size is well below the
critical mass anyone planning to use D in production needs to be
read to invest into libraries / tools for domains that no one has
been using before. I'd strongly suggest to do preliminary
analysis of necessary dependencies and do estimates of what it
will take to get it to desired in-house quality.

It is very likely that overall productivity gain will outweight
this drawback but it still needs to be taken into schedule.