How D could gain more traction?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 15 05:00:51 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 April 2015 at 11:45:37 UTC, XavierAP wrote:
> I understand such a library collection would have many holes
> right now, but movement also creates its own momentum. I just
> think it would be good that dlang.org provided some more
> guidance.

Yes, there is a lot of overlap in the D community: 4 D compiler
projects, a bunch of IDE projects, a bunch of GUI library
projects, a bunch of (basic) game engine projects... All rather
large in scope if you want to reach a complete state.

What is needed is a committee ;). But seriously, if you had a
nice public  API design on paper then maybe people would flock
behind the same project rather than creating their own. Unless
they do it for educational reasons/entertainment.

> But probably the best example to follow for D both in general
> and at this point, which is forgot to mention, is Python. Its
> success story is almost unbelievable: the language design is
> godawful, so many people like it, but I can't help thinking
> that they just love what they can do with it, because "there's
> one package for that" always which is standard de facto.

Python is pretty close to pseduo code and has managed to grow a
community that cares about API design which the language supports
fairly well. Since the language is inefficient and provides no
static typing good programmers tend to write cleaner code in
it... Bad language qualities can lead to better coding ;)