D AutoCompletion: is ycmd integration valuable?

rcorre via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 15 06:15:30 PDT 2015

For those who don't know, ycmd (https://github.com/Valloric/ycmd)
is an editor-agnostic completion engine that aims to reduce a lot
of the duplicate code written for handling autocompletions in
different language/editor combinations.

A long time ago, there was a request to get D support integrated
into ycmd:
https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/issues/521

It was closed as DCD was not 'stable' at the time. After DCD
became 'stable', it seemed there was nobody available to put
together the ycmd integration.

Do people think there would be value in reviving this effort?

I was playing around with integrating D completion into YCMD, but
I'm getting to the point where it is becoming non-trivial.

I'm mainly interested in autocompletion in Vim, which already
works reasonably well with Dutyl (a plugin that, among other
things, helps set up vim's omnifunc to use DCD).

Would it be worthwhile to try to move D completion forward by
integrating DCD with ycmd, or is it just better to keep working
on existing editor-specific solutions like Dutyl?