SDC needs you

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 16 01:08:53 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 at 04:05:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> (sometimes trivial). Lists, labels, management techniques that
> are touted in this forum every few months or so - no avail. The
> vision document that everybody asked about? Read and dutifully
> ignored

I've seen capable people in the forums repeatedly asking for
things to do that matters, but not receiving an answer. Silence.
That's lost opportunities. Frequently.

A vision for the language is still missing. Is it a system
programming language, for what application area, or is it a java
replacement? What are the missing bits for D to be a viable
system programming language?

The vision document you created was like a milestone map without
milestones and dependencies, and no measures to evaluate it by,
but work did get done on GC/C++ even though the evaluation is
missing. Where is the long term road map? What is at the end of
the road? What are the dependencies? Where are the designs
described? Where is a list of fun low-entry projects? How do you
get there from the front page? How is the project organized?

Now that you are moving DMD to D, you surely can need some help
with refactoring... That means you'll have do to design on paper
that others can implement.

Why did you spend time on remaking the web site when several
capable people were willing? What was the road block? The build
system? The approval process? Why didn't you approve a design on
paper and let someone else execute it?

Which one is the official production compiler? DMD, GDC, LDC or
SDC? None? That's a roadblock by itself.