SDC needs you

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 16 01:47:53 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 at 08:12:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> for a way to contribute to find it?  I agree that it's unlikely
> that someone will saunter in and learn the codebase and provide
> good fixes in their spare time, which is why I remain skeptical
> of the open source approach taken by the D community.

Yet again, people do learn parts of the code base and create
their own version of it... Like ketmar and I, and probably others
too.

To some people the main road block is a total disregard for CS as
a profession in the D community. The language design discussions
that moves outside C++ are like watching people building their
own house without reading up on the topic then telling the
carpenter that they are completely clueless for pointing out some
real issues that will actually make the house rot. Like putting
the damp sealing on the outside of the wall rather than on the
inside, clearly you should put it where it rains? (Nope, the
humidity is coming from inside the house in winter).

Too much NiH and ignorance wears out people with a CS background
and they leave, which incidentally are the people you need the
most for designing novel language features! There's a big
difference between implementing a spec and designing it. Stick to
Simula/Java and you are safe. Stick to C++ and you get some of
their problems. Invent your own without spending time on PLT and
you'll never get done.

Still, D is better off than the BitC community, which have very
educated discussions. So it is safe to say that to pull it off
you also have to be stubborn even when you are wrong (otherwise
you'll just redesign over and over and over). A hard balance to
get right. C++ is getting there (after being wrong). I think D
can too.