D AutoCompletion: is ycmd integration valuable?

rcorre via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 16 14:02:27 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 at 18:37:41 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> Hi,
> Try neomake[1], I wrote the checker for it - it will
> automatically detect of you're on a dub project and parse the
> dub describe output for includes.
>
> Also, if you use neovim it runs in the background and is
> non-blocking.

I'm getting closer and closer to jumping on the neovim
bandwagon...
I was never able to get vim-dispatch working properly.

> I guess I shod make a blog post for setting up vim to use D ad
> I've seem a lot of trouble with it recently.

Please do. I'd especially like to hear about the use of
makeprg/errorformat with regards to filtering dub output and
jumping to assert failures.

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 at 18:29:26 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:

> I've avoided adding this features because byte offset is very
> exact. Column counts can be thrown off by tab width settings in
> some editors. Requiring that the lexer know the tab width
> before it even starts running is a bit of nonsense I'd prefer
> to not deal with.

Well, someone has to do the conversion.
But you're right, it should be the editor -- having DCD operate
on byte offsets makes sense.
Unfortunately, the ycmd API asks for the line/col position from
the editor (unless I'm missing something).
Maybe this is just a sign that ycmd is the wrong road to go down
here, but I was hoping I could leverage some useful existing
functionality in ycmd and hopefully get some better performance
(completions provided via dutyl+DCD can take a noticeable amount
of time on my older machine).