SDC needs you

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 16 21:06:33 PDT 2015

On 17/04/2015 2:19 p.m., Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/16/2015 10:47 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> On 2015-04-16 06:50:35 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:
>>
>>> I've been working on the Objective-C support for quite a while. I'm
>>> on my
>>> third rewrite due to comments in previous pull requests. The latest pull
>>> request [1] was created in January, it's basically been stalled since
>>> February
>>> due to lack of review and Walter has not made a single comment at all
>>> in this
>>> pull request.
>>>
>>> I did the rewrites to comply with the requests Walter made in
>>> previous pull
>>> requests. Although not present as a bugzilla issue with the
>>> "preapproved" tag,
>>> I did interpreted it as preapproved based on a forum post made by you
>>> [2].
>>>
>>> I know that focus has shifted to GC, reference counting, C++ and so
>>> on, but
>>> you're not making it easy for someone to contribute.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4321
>>> [2] http://forum.dlang.org/post/lfoe82$17c0$1@digitalmars.com
>>
>> Back at the time I was working on D/Objective-C, my separate work on a
>> feature
>> proposed in pull #3 (that const(Object)ref thing) got a similar
>> treatment: no
>> comment from Walter in months. It's time-consuming to maintain a
>> complex pull
>> request against a changing master branch, and it was abandoned at some
>> point
>> because I got tired of maintaining it with no review in sight.
>>
>> Using Github was a new thing back then, so I didn't necessarily expect
>> the
>> review to go smoothly given #3 isn't a trivial change. But getting no
>> comment at
>> all made me rethink things. It made me dread a similar fate would await
>> D/Objective-C. It was one of the reasons I stopped working on it. Now
>> that Jacob
>> has taken over the Herculean task of making it work with current DMD
>> after a few
>> years of falling behind and of refactoring it as a series of pull
>> requests by
>> sub-feature to make it easier to review, I fear more and more it'll
>> get the same
>> treatment as #3, ignored by Walter for several months (that's where we
>> are now)
>> and then abandoned (when Jacob patience and/or spare time runs out).
>>
>> It would be sad to see all those efforts wasted.
>
> Yes it would. The problem is I have a hard time reviewing complex things
> I don't understand, so I procrastinate. The fault is mine, not with your
> work.

Even simpler things you quite often forget about.
Great example was my PR for __traits(allMembers, hint after two major
releases it no longer passes the auto tester. And now I have no will to
update it. As my environment was never kitted out for it.

I think from now on, we need to put in place some way to ping both of
you and Andrei. Basically if you get messaged about a PR/issue you are
required to respond.