SDC needs you

Kapps via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 16 21:40:45 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 at 04:05:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Forgive my being skeptical but my repeated appeals to
> contributions - most of them important, urgent, and of high
> impact - sometimes labeled with [WORK] in this forum, have been
> answered by the same very small kernel of contributors
> (including Walter and myself), regardless of their difficulty
> (sometimes trivial). Lists, labels, management techniques that
> are touted in this forum every few months or so - no avail. The
> vision document that everybody asked about? Read and dutifully
> ignored - back to the next naming debate. The sad reality is
> that if one of about a handful of core folks doesn't do it, it
> won't get done. My resolution is to do more of everything; that
> way more of everything will get done. -- Andrei

I think a significant part of the reason for this is that many
people are simply happy with D now and tend to, aside from the
core contributors, work on their own code rather than random
issues from a list (even an organized one). I haven't submitted
many pull requests, maybe a dozen or so in total, but when I have
it was because there was something that simply prevented me from
doing what I wanted to do. It's probably been several months
since my last one because, simply put, I am not currently having
issues that prevent me from moving forward. When I started using
D (probably about four or five years ago), it felt like bugs were
constant and you could either work around them or fix them. Now,
there are much fewer bugs, let alone ones without a trivial
workaround, making it less likely for people to contribute
towards fixing these.