Request for testers: GDC-5.1 Release Candidate branched

Stefan Frijters via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 19 05:04:18 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 19 April 2015 at 07:13:16 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GCC-5.1 has hit RC, and so it's all rush again to get bug fixes
> in
> quick before the window closes.
>
> Packages are up on Debian:
> https://packages.debian.org/experimental/gdc-5
>
> Latest changes however are on github:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/tree/gdc-5
>
> Updates/Fixes from gdc-4.9 include:
> - Front-end updated from 2.065.0 to 2.066.1
> - Added "goto" support for GDC Extended Inline Assembler
> - Added -fbounds-check=safe compiler option
> - Added Runtime support for EMUTLS targets
> - Added new gcc.attributes "section", "weak" and "alias"
> - Partially fixed thunk support for externally referenced
> methods
> (only variadic methods now don't work)
> - Improved Closure/Frame chaining, all tests now passing in the
> testsuite[1]
> - Improved NRVO support to take advantage of Return Slot
> Optimisation
> (RSO), all tests now passing in the testsuite[2]
>
> Last feature I am working on getting in is runtime exception
> chaining
> support.  If anyone has any grand ideas, they'd be more than
> welcome.
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/84e77850a4e9184526d9b571fb8bdfda4dc103a1#diff-cbd05be6883e1f976bc2eee00b1e6bcaL2442
> [2]:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/b9bbf568c20d806bc8570c8cefe41bf57c729bb1#diff-2a4fd18a3f136c982c89e12064e0b6baL551
>

> Regards
> Iain.

I don't have too much to report (which is a good thing in this
case): I did a fresh install from source, following [1], and I
didn't encounter any problems. I was already compiling my code
with an earlier GDC version that used the 2.066.1 front-end
(which is required for my code) because it gives me a 2.5x speed
increase for my code execution (in my Linux VM at least), so I
love the new release already :-D

Cheers,

Stefan

[1] http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Installation/Generic