Today's programming challenge - How's your Range-Fu ?

Nick B via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 19 18:27:36 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 19 April 2015 at 19:58:28 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 07:54:36 +0000, John Colvin wrote:

> it's not crazy, it's just broken in all possible ways:
> http://file.bestmx.net/ee/articles/uni_vs_code.pdf

Ketmar

Great link, and a really good arguement about the problems with
Unicode.

Quote from 'Instead of Conclusion'

Yes. This is the root of Unicode misdesign. They mixed up two
mutually exclusive
approaches. They blended badly two different abstraction levels:
the textual level which
corresponds to a language idea and the graphical level which does
not care of a language, yet
cares of writing direction, subscripts, superscripts and so on.

In other words we need two different Unicodes built on these two
opposite principles,
instead of the one built on an insane mix of controversial axioms.

end quote.

Perhaps Unicode needs to be rebuild from the ground up ?