64bit linking on Windows without Visual Studio

Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 20 09:39:37 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 April 2015 at 04:32:32 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> There are three aspects of Visual Studio used for D's Win64
> support: the Microsoft C compiler to compile a few C files in
> COFF64 format, the Microsoft COFF64 linker, and the Microsoft C
> library in COFF64 format.  Replacing only one will not get you
> very far.

As ifor the C compiler, wth DDMD around the corner that seems
like it well be a non issue very soon. Really, all we would need
are the linker and the libraries, right? I could still do more
fiddling, but when I used this linker I used the library files
that came with it almost exclusively. There was only one that I
needed to add, and I'm sure that it can be figured out.

I just really like the idea of a self contained D compiler set up
that doesn't need any other downloads to get working.