64bit linking on Windows without Visual Studio

Jeremiah DeHaan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 20 11:26:15 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 April 2015 at 16:47:53 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> The C compiler isn't to compile dmd, but some C files that are
> necessary for druntime and phobos.  btw, DDMD only translates
> the frontend to D, the dmd backend is still C++.  Not that it
> matters, as we're only talking about what's necessary from
> Visual Studio, and you don't need Visual Studio to compile dmd
> for Win64.
>
> If your alternate toolchain comes with its own C library, then
> it's much closer to a possible replacement.  All you're missing
> is a C compiler that will compile to COFF64 then.

Oh, huh. For some reason I thought that DMD was doing its own
code generation and only needed a linker for putting it all
together. I didn't know that it needed another compiler to work.
It looks like I have more to learn about the D compiler.

The toolchain I am suggesting does include a C compiler that
works for both 32 and 64 bit MSCOFF, so it sounds like it could
be feasible, but whether it is worth it or not is a different
story.