64bit linking on Windows without Visual Studio

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 20 21:33:08 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 April 2015 at 18:26:16 UTC, Jeremiah DeHaan wrote:
> Oh, huh. For some reason I thought that DMD was doing its own
> code generation and only needed a linker for putting it all
> together. I didn't know that it needed another compiler to work.
> It looks like I have more to learn about the D compiler.

DMD does do all its own code generation, the C compiler is only
needed for a few C files that are bundled with druntime and
phobos, such as zlib.  Since the C compiler is only needed to
build druntime/phobos for Win64 and not when distributing dmd for
Win64, it's not as important as the COFF64 linker and C library.

The D devs can always download Visual Studio when building the
dmd release, compile those C files, and not require users to get
Visual Studio.  Of course, this assumes that there aren't any
incompatibilities between COFF64 code generated by the Microsoft
C compiler and your COFF64 linker and C library.

> The toolchain I am suggesting does include a C compiler that
> works for both 32 and 64 bit MSCOFF, so it sounds like it could
> be feasible, but whether it is worth it or not is a different
> story.

Huh, looks like you have everything you need then. :)