SDC needs you -- redux

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 21 10:18:40 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 April 2015 at 22:40:11 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 April 2015 at 06:01:14 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
>> gofmt, much like python's standardized formatting, made
>> contributing to go projects much easier IMO. While the same
>> can't be done for D, hopefully dfmt becomes a standard tool
>> and each dub project can just include a dfmt.conf or something
>> to make contributing easier.
>
> dfmt options go in .editorconfig with the rest of your
> project's style decisions like tabs/spaces and line length.
>
>> I agree with the OP on the tooling point, just look at C++.
>> C++ had historically zero(okay, some - but it sucked! ctags
>> were awful, etc.) tooling before clang hit the scene. IMO
>> clang/LLVM was a complete game changer for C++ tooling, and I
>> hope D can do the same.
>
> For what it's worth, D-Scanner can output ctags information for
> D files.
>
>> Clang has a static analyzer, a formatter, a modernizer...
>> Hell, clang(and obv. libclang) can dump the AST right from its
>> driver, and even has autocompletion built into
>> it(-code-completion-at)
>
> We now have a formatter. D-Scanner can perform some static
> analysis and dump an AST from its parser, DCD provides
> autocompletion. dfix can perform syntax upgrades.

I think your work is very valuable, but SDC is still necessary. D
a very meta programming language, which makes having a fully
featured front end necessary for various tooling.

Your approach certainly yield result faster, and is sufficient
for some tooling. I see your work and SDC as complementary rather
than stepping on each other. This is why I put tools like REPL or
test runner in the list rather than tools like formatting, which
you approach can already provide.