WTF: dmd 2.066 vs. dmd 2.067 really dangerous code breakage

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 23 06:26:37 PDT 2015

On 4/23/15 9:09 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> We can make it an error in 2.067.1 and change semantics in 2.067 -
> actually I'd recommend to do it that way. Breaking normal deprecation
> process is not good.

I agree it should have been done, not saying it's OK to break the
process in some cases. I'm just explaining why it probably happened the
way it did.

However, breaking it again in 2.067.1 is not good. Anyone who creates
immutable fields for 2.067 and then upgrades to 2.067.1 is going to be
upset. Even if we agree on how semantic changes should happen in the
future (and should have happened in the past), it's not acceptable to
change them for a point release.

-Steve