code.dlang community transfer repository

wobbles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 24 01:05:16 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 at 15:43:43 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Dub provides an easy way to utilizes 3rd party libraries,
> github provides an easy way to revive a project no longer being
> maintained by the author. Can we come up with a solution within
> code.dlang to take advantage of this?
>
> While I'd prefer if the project owner would proved commit
> rights to their contributors (or subset of such). This doesn't
> usually happen, and you can't always get into contact with them.
>
> My example is dini[1]. There is a pull request to get it
> working with 2.067, it hasn't been merged in the last 29 days
> with latest modifications being from January.
>
> In order to keep the projects in code.dlang.org relevant, I
> think it is important that we provide a way to have the primary
> project change hands, rather than require the fork be placed on
> to code.dlang.org too[2].
>

> 1. https://github.com/robik/DIni/pulls
> 2. http://code.dlang.org/packages/tharsis-dimgui

Personally, I think the bigger problem with projects on
code.dlang.org is that there is no vetting process. Any and all
projects are accepted, with no requirement for a project to be
"good". A lot of projects in there are both unusable and not
particularly useful in the first place.

Of course, having someone review a project before it's accepted
into the repository makes a huge amount of work, and that's
manpower that probably isn't available.

I think a simple voting system would be a good idea combined with
the ability to sort the projects on category and on number of
votes. Good projects will naturally gravitate towards the top
then. Un-kept, buggy projects will fall to the bottom too,
potentially solving your problem too!