Coding for solid state drives

tcak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 24 02:18:34 PDT 2015

On Friday, 24 April 2015 at 08:27:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://codecapsule.com/2014/02/12/coding-for-ssds-part-6-a-summary-what-every-programmer-should-know-about-solid-state-drives/
>
> An interesting article. Anyone want to see if there are any
> modifications we should make to std.stdio to work better with
> SSDs? (Such as changing the buffer sizes.)

This article is not about "coding", but information about SSDs.

Considering spinning drives and SSDs separately means create two
separate configurations for software. So you either:

1. Provide two separate code one is written for one
configuration, and another
for SSD. This way the performance can be kept high,

2. Configurations can be changed on run-time, so there will be
one executable only. But values won't be constant, so there is no
compile time determination of values (buffer size etc.)

For most end user, 2nd is suitable.