[OT] compiler optimisations

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 24 13:50:15 PDT 2015

On Friday, 24 April 2015 at 16:40:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> There are _lots_ of languages, most are close to dead, some are
> lingering, some are clinging to a niche... but only a few ones
> gain momentum.

Well, I don't want to get into a big debate about how you define
those things. I'll just say that I'm not concerned about D
disappearing. I write some D code, drop it into an R package
along with a Makefile, and my coauthors and I are using D. None
of the things you claim as design flaws are a problem for us.

As always, when it comes to programming languages, it really
depends on what you're trying to do. Not that long ago someone
around here was claiming Python is a niche language like Haskell.
On Reddit, garbage collection is often called a design flaw. YMMV
applies more to programming languages than about anything else.