[OT] compiler optimisations

Lucas via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 25 06:15:04 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 07:51:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> C++ would have been dead if the memory model was based on a
> Boehm GC. Many people have tried and left D due to compiler
> quality and GC. If those two issues had been given the highest
> priority (over new features) D would have taken a larger market
> share a long time ago.
>
> (And no Tango/Phobos was not a big deal, just a minor
> annoyance.)

That's me. I looked at D a while back and started playing around
with it some, but it seemed at the time D was still working out
it's design (v2 was being discussed) and the GC seemed too
integral in the libraries. I came back recently to see how its
progressed and the focus seems to be like it wants to be a lower
level scripting language. I can just use Java or C# for such
things, both have a wider range of supported platforms and
perform pretty well for having a GC. D does seem nice for shell
scripting on *nix though.

But the GC is annoying when making games, it's like a network
lag, very noticeable, even with tuning.

I use C++ as C with classes. If C had namespaces, strings,
templates with a good syntax and was all in one file it would be
a dream (classes are a bonus). That was my initial impression of
D... until I learned of the GC. Then I thought of it as Java/C#
without the VM.

The lack of supported platforms was also a consideration. At a
minimum I'd want 64 bit desktop support for Linux, OSX and
Windows and mobile support for iOS and Android. LDC is tempting.